Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Story of My First Heartbreak

In several of my previous stories, I had mentioned that many times, my sister and I were on the opposite sides. In fact, the majority of the stories are ones with me at odds with my sister. If you read too closely, the reader might think we hated each other when in fact that is not true. In this story my sister fought for me and tried to protect me. The events are one that I look back on with great love and respect for my sister.


It is the time of high school and junior hops. Every weekend, the school would hold a dance in the gym and there young teenagers would go to socialize, hope to meet new boys, and dance. Usually the scene was the boys would be standing on one side of the gym and the girls on the other side. Shoes would be along a wall because it was much easier to dance in your socks. Some would be dancing boy-girl, but most times the girls would be dancing with each other. The boys seemed afraid to ask the girls to dance.

My sister and I were at the gym for the dance, and it was arranged that Mom would pick both of us up at 10 p.m. when the dance was over. I didn’t feel like being a wall flower. The area behind the belchers was a caged area where the records were being played over the sound system. I happened to know the boy who was playing the records. In the cage the teen DJ would lock himself inside, so the many students would not be able to handle the records. Some records were school property but most were owned by fellow students. This was considered, by the school officials, as the only way to protect school equipment and property. One this night I had asked the teen DJ, who was a friend, if I could help and he agreed. All during the dance we picked out all the songs the students would dance to.

The hop had been going on for awhile, when girls started coming into the cage area requesting Bobby Vinton’s “Blue Velvet”. This was not abnormal, because this gave the girls to dance real close to the boy of their choice. The problem was the song was being requested so often, that if the girl’s had their way, no other song would be played. I got curious. I asked one of the girls why she wanted the song “Blue Velvet” to be played.  I was informed that a boy from another school was at the dance and all the girls wanted to dance with him, slow. They told me he was dreamy and cute and every positive adjective that girls used at that age. I had to see this boy, this young god. I left the cage and took a seek peak. The girls were right. Now all I wanted to do was to dance with this guy. Somehow I managed my turn to dance with him as the “last dance.” I found out his name was Bob and he would be there next week. I went home on a cloud. I couldn’t wait till the next dance.

The next week came. I waited and watch for this young man. He finally arrived, with only 30 minutes left in the dance. I tried to talk with him, but he was surrounded by other girls. I had somehow decided that I was his girl. I had to find a way to get him alone, hopefully to dance, but I had to have him for myself. Time was running out and I was desperate. When I finally manage to get him alone, he told me he didn’t want to dance. He made it very clear that I was not his girl, nor was any girl at this school. He also informed me ‘to get lost’ and not to bother him.  I was crushed, my heart was breaking. The dance was over, my face was wet, my eyes were red, and Bob had made me the school fool. I ran to mother’s waiting car, crying uncontrollably. Mom asked where my sister was, and of course I had no idea, and I really did not care where she was. I had been crushed.

My sister finally arrived and home we went. I ran to my bed and continued to cry. I was sure that I would die, or hoped I would die. Mom came in and started talking to me. Her words were those of understanding, love, and other wonderful ideas parents tell their children when they realize their little girl/boy is growing up. Then she added something wonderful, something I would never forget. The reason that my sister was delayed in reaching the car was that she had seen Bob giving me the brush off and my reaction. She had gotten so angry that she started searching for him.  Apparently she found him among other boys. She went up to him and gave him a lecture on hurting her sister, and during the lecture, adding a few punches or slaps. My sister stood up for me!!

I am sure that my sister’s side of the story is quite different, but this is how I remember it. This was no morale, but one of life’s lesson. Every young individual must go though the sadness of a broken heart. How else will we recognized true love when it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. Thank you for reading my stories.